History

  • 1990: The Romanian state-owned autonomous company in the electricity field, RENEL, is established in November. IREs become Electrical Network Subsidiaries (FREs).
  • 1998: Following the RENEL restructuring programme pursuant to the enforcement of GD No 365 July 03, 1998 for the RENEL reorganization, the National Electricity Company (CONEL) is established. CONEL comprised three subsidiaries: SC Termoelectrica SA for generation of electrical and thermal power in thermal power stations, SC Hidroelectrica SA for generation of electricity in hydro-electrical stations, and SC Electrica SA for electricity distribution and supply.
  • 2000: CONEL was split into the following independent and fully state-owned trading companies: S.C. Termoelectrica S.A., S.C. Hidroelectrica S.A., S.C. Electrica S.A. and C.N. Transelectrica S.A., as Transmission System Operator, with its subsidiary – legal entity, S.C. OPCOM S.A. As result of such split, CONEL was dissolved.
  • 2001: Based on GD No 1342 of December 27th 2001 on the reorganization of “Electrica” SA, 8 trading companies are established.  „Electrica” SA was split into 8 branches as it follows:
    1. Electrica Transilvania Nord (with the registered office in Cluj-Napoca);
    2. Electrica Transilvania Sud (with the registered office in Braşov);
    3. Electrica Muntenia Nord (with the registered office in Ploieşti);
    4. Electrica Muntenia Sud (with the registered office in Bucharest);
    5. Electrica Banat (with the registered office in Timişoara);
    6. Electrica Moldova (with the registered office in Bacău);
    7. Electrica Oltenia (with the registered office in Craiova)
    8. Electrica Dobrogea (with the registered office in Constanţa).
  • 2005: The Electrica Banat, Electrica Moldova, Electrica Oltenia and Electrica Dobrogea branches were 51% privatized, „Electrica” SA remaining their shareholder.
  • August 1st 2007: Electrica Muntenia Nord, Electrica Transilvania Sud and Electrica Transilvania Nord electricity distribution and supply branches were restructured by partially splitting the former companies in order to separate the electricity supply activity from the electricity distribution activity. By Government Decision No 657 of 2007, the three subsidiaries fully owned by “Electrica” SA were split based on the type of activity, namely electricity supply and electricity distribution, being established the following branches:
    1. Electrica Furnizare Muntenia Nord
    2. Electrica Furnizare Transilvania Nord
    3. Electrica Furnizare Transilvania Sud
    4. Electrica Distribuţie Muntenia Nord
    5. Electrica Distribuţie Transilvania Nord
    6.  Electrica Distribuţie Transilvania Sud

Separation of the electricity supply activity from the electricity distribution activity represents the implementation of the requirement provided for in the European Directive No 54 of June 26th 2003 and it is regulated by the GD No 675 of June 28th 2007.

  • 2008: The “Electrica Muntenia Sud” Branch was privatized in 2008, the majority share pack of 64.4% being taken by the Italian Group titled ENEL.
  • 2011: On July 22nd 2011, according to the GD No 930 of September 1st 2010, the trading company “Electrica Furnizare” SA was established following the merger of the former ”Electrica Furnizare Muntenia Nord”, ”Electrica Furnizare Transilvania Nord” and ”Electrica Furnizare Transilvania Sud” branches.
  • 2014: In June, 51% of the “ELECTRICA” SA shares were successfully double listed on Bucharest Stock Exchange and London Stock Exchange, the biggest listing on the capital market in Romania, the Company collecting on the market a record amount of almost Lei 2 billion (EUR 443 million).

 

Events that impacted the electricity distribution and supply activity history

In 1857, Bucharest became the first capital in the world illuminated with kerosene and since then, concerns for the modernization of the public and implicitly the industrial life in Romania began. Those years represented the beginning of the country’s economic boom (1938 is used as bookmark for Romania’s economic status before the change of the governmental regime) and one of the directions was the country’s energy development.

Gradually, there were put into service new production capacities (hydropower stations, thermal power stations, gas power stations, and electricity transmission and distribution lines) which led to establishing the National Energy System. Nowadays, there are still about 300 non-electrified localities.

  • 1882, Bucharest: the first public lighting network in our country was put into service;
  • 1884, Timişoara: the first electric street lighting system in Europe comes into operation;
  • 1887, Craiova:  the National Theatre is electrically lit;
  • 1894, Bucharest: the first electric trams in the country;
  • 1898, Bucharest: the “Romanian Society for Industrial Electrical Enterprises” is set up, which became in 1921 the Romanian Anonymous Society “S.C. ELECTRICA” SA;
  • 1899, Iaşi: the public distribution of electricity begins in town;
  • 1902, Ploieşti: the public distribution of electricity begins in town;
  • 1913: the first electrical railway in the country, on the route: Arad – Ghioroc – Pincota – Radna;
  • 1930 – 1931, Bucharest: – the first electric distribution network on ferroconcrete posts in the country is set up;
  • 1939 – 1940, Snagov: the first underwater cable is put into function.

There are many other significant moments in the construction and development of the National Energy System, representing the achievements obtained over the years by the companies emerging from the restructuring of the Ministry of Electricity, RENEL and CONEL.